If necessity is the mother of invention, then alcohol has to be invention’s cool, easy going bachelor uncle. You know, the uncle that let’s you stay up late and always brings you a gift when he comes to visit. Seriously, without the exalted embrace of alcohol’s amazing aura, assisting in manufacturing my marvelous meals, I may not have been able to spawn such stupendous sandwiches and consistently craft clever creations. Alcohol can make any greasy grub taste terrific, but the true test is how fantastic and flavor filled your food will be once you’re stone-cold sober. Well hear me now true believers, because this stunning sandwich is always astonishingly awesome, regardless of your blood alcohol content. Whether you’re the designated driver or the designated drunk, this crazy concoction of magnificent meats, blissful bread, exquisite egg and charming cheeses promises to produce a party for your palette. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you “The M.E.K.”
Note: Named after the man to first sink his teeth into this mouth watering meal, it can also mean “Meat & Egg Koncoction- but that would be a stretch.
– 4 Hot Italian Sausage links (or sweet, depending on your taste)
– 8 slices of pastrami
– 4 slices of Virginia Ham
– 8 slices of pepper jack cheese
– 4 eggs (fried, sunny side up or over easy- you’re choice)
– 4 potato bread buns or rolls
1. Clean, prepare and arrange all ingredients.
2. Grill sausages outside on a propane grill over medium heat or broil them in an oven for about 10 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through and you have reached the desired crispiness. Once done, set off to the side.
3. In a frying pan, spray some non stick cooking oil and place your pastrami (2 slices per sandwich) into the pan. Cook on each side for about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Place 1 slice of the virginia ham onto the pastrami and continue cooking. Flip again and cook the ham side down. Flip one more time and begin melting cheese onto the ham. Once cheese is melted, remove from pan and set aside.
5. Spray pan again and begin frying your eggs. Melt 1 slices of cheese over each egg. Begin assembling your sandwich.
6. Slice a sausage in half and place onto the bottom half of your bread. Then add your pastrami, ham and cheese. Top with egg and cheese. Close sandwich and prepare yourself to enter a flavor fiesta. Makes up to 4 sandwiches.