Full discloser, I meant to write this the other day, but it was my birthday and I lost my camera that night. Plus, I have been a little preoccupied by eating and drinking so many other delicious things as of late, that I almost forget to record the recipe of this most exquisite of entrees…
Every year, it never fails. Each meal I eat is on trial. Being judged by yours truly to see how it stacks up. By taste, texture, presentation and overall eating experience. I am Judge Dread in my own post-apocalyptic world grandiose goodness. Of eating excellence; and this is the fantastic food that won out against all others in this years tournament of culinary competitors and triumphed to become my birthday dinner. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan. If one of something you love is nice, two of something is even better.
About as decadent a food as you can make, it certainly comes close to the culinary equivalent of overdosing. You bite into it and you think “Oh. Nothing from this world can taste so good.” But it can, and it’s very simple to replicate. I would be honored if anyone out there would care to experience this marvelous meal and enjoy the pleasure of tasting one of the most remarkable recipes from my repertoire.
Ingredients For Marinara Sauce-
-1 Can of tomato puree
-1 Small can of tomato paste
-2 Large cloves of garlic or 3 medium (minced)
-1 Tablespoon of dried parsley
-1 Teaspoon of dried oregano
-1 Teaspoon of dried basil
-Salt and pepper (to taste)
-1/4 Cup of red wine
-Olive oil (to cover bottom of pan)
-Pinch of sugar
Instructions For Marinara Sauce-
1. Coat medium sized cooking pot with olive oil.
2. Add garlic and cook on medium for 1 minute, until garlic aroma fills the room. Add can of tomato puree and tomato paste.
3. Add all spices, sugar and wine.
4. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour- allowing time for flavors to blend
Ingredients For Chicken/ Eggplant Parmesan-
– 1 Large eggplant (peeled and cut into thin, circular slices)
– 6 Chicken breast (cleaned and filleted)
– 1 And a half to 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
– 2 Cups of Italian bread crumbs
– Parmesan cheese
-2 eggs (beaten)
-Some milk (mixed into egg wash)
Instructions For Chicken/ Eggplant Parmesan-
1. Clean, prepare and arrange all ingredients.
2. Coat frying pan with some canola oil heat on heavy to medium.
3. Peel and cut eggplant into thin, circular disc- ranging from small to large. Dip into egg wash, pat into bread crumbs and place into hot pan of shallow oil. cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oil.
4. Drain well onto paper shopping bag, or paper towels.
5. Repeat breading and frying process with the trimmed and filleted chicken breast. 7-10 minutes, golden on each side. Drain well onto bags or paper towel.
6. Coat a small casserole pan or cornering ware with 2 to 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce.
7. Layer the pan or corning ware with overlapping slices of fried eggplant discs. Cover with some marinara sauce, 2 healthy handfuls of mozzarella and a sprinkle of parmesan.
8. Place fried chicken over the cheese, sauce and eggplant. Repeat process.
9. Top with remaining fried eggplant, layering like a lasagna. Add final layer of mozzarella and parmesan.
10. Size up a piece of tin foil to cover casserole pan or corning ware dish. Spray with non stick spray first, then cover. Cook on 350 for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and cook uncovered for 5 to 10 more minutes.
11. Serve with some pasta and or some garlic bread on the side. Enjoy.