Perhaps one of the powerful foods in my culinary arsenal is also one of the most simple to make. Pasta, vegetables, chicken and parmesan cheese are delicious enough on their own- but combined together, they create a magnificent melody of fantastic flavors. Subtle hints of white wine, palette pleasing pasta, glorious garlic, tender chicken breast and some sensational sauteed veggies; Pasta Verde has everything you love in a dinner and more. Serve it up fresh for a stupendous sunday meal. Pack it up in some tupperware and bring to work or school for a luscious lunch. Hot or cold, at home or on the go, the delectable deliciousness stays the same- superb. This recipe for Pasta Verde has been in my family for nearly half a century and now it can be a part of yours too. Buon appetito!
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds of chicken cutlets. Trimmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Twelve ounce boxes of tri-color rotini
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped basil (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 package of fresh pea pods
- 2 Cups fresh broccoli florets, bite size
- 1 Zucchini (sliced thin and cut in half)
- 1 Yellow squash (same as zucchini)
- 2 Medium green bell peppers
- 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic
- 6 Plum tomatoes, halved then cut into quarters
- Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup of white wine
- 1/4 Teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- 13 Ounce can of chicken broth
1. Clean, prepare and arrange all ingredients.
2. Lightly coat the bottom of 2 large skillets (cast iron or non stick) with olive oil.
3. Bring pasta water to a boil. Cook al-dente and drain. Set off to the side.
4. Begin stir frying chicken in hot skillet and zucchini, squash, peppers and broccoli in the other.
5. Cook and stir both for about 10 minutes. (Keep an eye on the veggies- turn on low if necessary.)
6. When chicken is finished and cooked all the way through add wine, broth, garlic and spices to chicken and bring to a good simmer- stirring 5 to 10 minutes.
7. At the same time, add tomatoes to vegetables. Stir.
8. Place pasta back into cooking pot. Sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese.
9. When chicken and vegetables are finished (cook the veggies to your liking) add to pasta, sprinkle again with parmesan, toss and stir.
10. Mix well and serve with Italian bread and white wine. Serves up to 6 very hungry people.